Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cranberry Squares

Hi girls!
I tried this recipe the other night and it absolutely disappeared! It was even better the next day as it softened up...actually only had about 4 squares left and they vanished! When I first made it I thought I should ice it as it didn't look too pretty. But I am glad I did not!!
I would double the recipe and make it a day ahead. It says it would be a good Christmas goodie. I think it would be good anytime! YUMMY!!
Cranberry Squares

Crust
½ cup cold butter
¼ cup sugar
1 cup flour

Filling
1½ cup frozen cranberries
¼ cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt


To make crust: Cut butter into sugar and flour until crumbly. Pat into an 8” square pan. Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.

To make filling: In a saucepan, cook cranberries (don’t bother to thaw) and ¼ cup brown sugar over medium-low heat until berries are softened and the skins pop, about 10 minutes. Cool. In a large bowl, beat eggs and gradually add brown sugar. Beat until thickened. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Stir in cooled cranberries and spread mixture over the crust. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Do not overcook.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds delicious. Is it from a Best of Bridge? I think I may have made it before.

Tricia said...

Yes, it is! I have never seen it before! I just made it and doubled it!